Life, stranger than fictions..

Welcome to my blog! It's a pleasure to have you here reading my hyperbolic scribbles. Some are archived stuff from my other blogs (inactive ones), some are brand new ideas. My words will be too much, overrated, out of line, dysfunctional, confusing, impractical and sometime don't make any sense. But in a hand, they have released my tense.
So enjoy these imaginarium of free mind. In a case you are interested to drop a line, or jes wanna appreciate any posts, don't be hesitate. Do your deed! Release those hustle-bustle inside your brain!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

[archive] The amazing Gloomy Sunday

I may be one of these people who have queer tendency when it comes to film & music. Aside from physical look & my inner personality, I must say that I fond much of these gloomy, gothic –ish pieces. I'm always mesmerized by films that are successfully presented such a dramatic visuals and ironic storyline. Like this one, my all time favorite movie: Gloomy Sunday. As I mention to a friend a couple of hours back, this masterpiece feed my hunger of a good movie in term of visual, camera angle, cast, soundtrack, setting, and of course unexpected ending. 

To those who are completely unaware to this movie, it is your time to treasure the pleasure. Far before the movie, the song "Gloomy Sunday" was originated written by two Hungarians in 1933 (Reszõ Seress & László Jávor). A year later, the melancholy ballad was linked with an outbreak of suicides. An American version was recorded by Billie Holiday in 1941, whose soulful, subtle voice interpreted the nightmare en route to reality. In an attempt to alleviate the pessimistic tone, a third stanza was added to this version, giving the song a dreamy twist, yet still the suicide reputation remained. The song was eventually banned from the play lists of major radio broadcasters around the world. The BBC deemed it too depressing for the airwaves. Despite all such bans, Gloomy Sunday continued to be recorded and sold. People continued to buy the recordings; some committed suicide. Rezsô Seress jumped to his death from his flat in 1968. (link to: www.snopes.com/music/songs/gloomy.htm for further Urban Legends Reference Pages). 



The movie itself is based on the book entitled Das Lied vom traurigen Sonntag ("The song of sad Sunday") by Nick Barkow. It begins with the 80th birthday celebration of a rich and powerful German businessman in his favorite Budapest restaurant. After asking that the violinist play the song connected with the place (he mentions it, “the famous one”), music that mesmerized him as a young man, he suddenly dies of a heart attack. In a flashback, we are taken to the 1930s when the restaurant is run by Lazlo Szabo (Joachim Krol), a Jewish entrepreneur who has a keen appreciation for fine food, beauty, and sexual pleasure. 


He is madly in love with the alluring Ilona (Erika Marozsan), the hospitable hostess in the restaurant. When they both decide that they need a pianist, Andras (Stefano Dionisi) is hired. Having no claim on Ilona's private life, Lazlo is not surprised when she begins an affair with the handsome newcomer. Andras then composes "Gloomy Sunday" for her, and it soon becomes a favorite among the patrons of the restaurant. Lazlo helps the young man sell it to a record company, and soon it is on the radio along with a commercial for the restaurant. Ilona decides to share her love and body with both men, and for a while they all seem to be happy. But the bittersweet nature of "Gloomy Sunday" leads many Hungarians to commit suicide. 


The other central character in this moody drama is Mr. Wieck (Ben Becker), an ambitious young German who falls under Ilona's spell and rashly proposes to her. When she turns him down, he plunges into the Danube and is saved by Lazlo. Some years later, Wieck returns to his favorite restaurant as a leading Nazi officer. For large sums or money or jewelry, he arranges safe passage for Hungarian Jews to Switzerland. Although he is beholden to Lazlo for once saving his life, he has a few surprises in store for him. But it is Ilona who surprises Wieck when he least expects it. Gloomy Sunday is a well-acted drama about the trinity of love, death, and the grace moments that make life worth the wear of living. 


Movie poster
For me, the whole cinematographic aspects are combined in a delicious way to form a classic one. Even though the groundbreaking song is way far more grandiose than the motion picture, somehow they complete to each other; the movie cleanses any horror mind emerging from the song. Who wouldn’t imagine horrific interpretation when one listens to this eerie lyric:

[This is the translation of the original Hungarian]
Lyric by LÁSZLÓ JÁVOR:

On a sad Sunday with a hundred white flowers,
I was waiting for you my dearest with a prayer.
A Sunday morning, chasing after my dreams,
The carriage of my sorrow returned to me without you.
It is since then that my Sundays have been forever sad ...

Sad Sunday

This last Sunday, my darling please come to me
There'll be a priest, a coffin, a catafalque and a winding-sheet.
There'll be flowers for you, flowers and a coffin,
Under the blossoming trees it will be my last journey.
My eyes will be open, so that I could see you for a last time,
Don't be afraid of my eyes, I'll be blessing you in your death ...

The last Sunday.



Lyric by REZSÕ SERESS:

It is autumn and the leaves are falling,
All love has died on earth.
The wind is weeping with sorrowful tears,
My heart will never hope for a new spring again.
My tears and my sorrows are all in vain,
People are heartless, greedy and wicked ...

Love has died!

The world has come to its end, hope has ceased to have a meaning
Cities are being wiped out,
Meadows are colored red with human blood,
There are dead people on the streets everywhere.
I will say another quiet prayer:
People are sinners, Lord, they make mistakes...

The world has ended!

No comments:

Post a Comment