Life, stranger than fictions..

Welcome to my blog! It's a pleasure to have you here reading my hyperbolic scribbles. Some are archived stuff from my other blogs (inactive ones), some are brand new ideas. My words will be too much, overrated, out of line, dysfunctional, confusing, impractical and sometime don't make any sense. But in a hand, they have released my tense.
So enjoy these imaginarium of free mind. In a case you are interested to drop a line, or jes wanna appreciate any posts, don't be hesitate. Do your deed! Release those hustle-bustle inside your brain!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

[archive] Hors De Prix: Audrey Tautou's return to an entertaining motion picture





I incidentally got this film's DVD after a quick shopping trip at ITC Permata on June 8, 2007. I must say I was blessed it caught up my sight since my last unsuccessful movie experience with Angelina Jolie’s “The Good Shepherd”; so boring I felt asleep before it’s over! After that I happened to be very picky and rather cynical to Hollywood movies therefore I unconsciously drifted aside and took a chance to seek for alternatives. But how could I resist a fine, shinning pack of DVD with Audrey Tautou in the front cover? So I made my move, grabbed the piece and asked mbak DVD seller to play the disk. It was crystal clear and completed with correspondent English subtitle. Excellent. 


Cute poster
The original title is “Hors De Prix”, or “Priceless” in American version, stars Gad Elmaleh (never saw him before in any French movies) and Audrey Tautou (of course, the reason I bought this DVD), telling a story of a timid barman (Jean) who sees a beautiful seductress (Irène), disguises himself as a rich man by accident and spends a good night with her in the Imperial Suite ('I only got the Royal Suite', she says), and this results in both of them losing their respective jobs (as it were), and thus begins the misadventures of Jean et Irène (which is NOT pronounced 'Irene', by the way). 

The movie was absolutely funny, I could laugh out loud if I wasn’t watch it with my big sis. She kept saying ‘astaghfirullah’ every time Irène showed up with her latest sophisticated-close-to-naked gowns. But we both laughed gayly and enjoyed the scene when she runs like hell with her oh-so-skinny figure. However, it’s a new kind of comedy, out of Hollywood’s rude slapsticks nor foolishness of “American Pie” ones. This one is easier to chew.

I admire Audrey’s ability to switch her facial expressions from one mood to another as required in the story. When she gets happy and turns jealous, she visually does a great job to mark the leap. Out of her old role as the quirky Amelie—even though I keep comparing Irène with Amelie—Audrey’s cuteness effectively utilized to emphasize her character as a richman preyer. Do I put it correctly? “Richman preyer”. Hm, they rather call her kind as “gold digger”. Nice way to put it. She plays Irène with such elegance and energy and made her real that even though her character could have easily strayed into bitchy territory, it never once did, and we understand and support Gad's character's obsession with her. She is also very sexy, and very much tanned—and the way her breasts are on the verge of popping out due to the dress she was wearing was very distracting. On the other hand, Gad has proved himself a successful rising young comedian in the world of French films—at least, in the international scene, he might already be famous in France.


The playful Audrey, so adorable
As usual, French movies are always presented in such a wonderful visual. They have these distinguish technics and brief consideration on colours, its perspective and harmony. Not to mention their romantic architectures and beautiful landscapes… really indulge my visual senses.

The story itselves runs smoothly and entirely natural. It seems the cast are truly in the real situation! I think the chemistry between the actors were astoundingly well-crafted. *Sigh*. If only more films like these come along. A good film, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment